Sunday, September 9, 2007

the string incident

The thought of having to unravel all of the string at the end of the project was enough to keep me from fully enjoying the activity. I did not unravel my entire ball of twine, and I did not think about composition when I was unraveling it. However, looking at every one's string wrapped together it doesn't seem to have mattered whether or not we thought about composition. Despite the spontaneity of the project, patterns started emerging in certain spots throughout the room, making it appear as though it was planned and purposeful.
I don't think it was a lame or useless activity, because it definitely encouraged teamwork, and caused many people to remark that people going to other colleges would not have gotten to experience such a thing. This is a valid point because in art related fields it is important to be able to free yourself from rigid thinking in order to come up with solutions that are unorthodox and creative. It's important to be able to have fun and work at the same time because if you aren't enjoying yourself it translates into the work you do.

No comments: